Monday, February 3, 2014

Dressing for the Stay at Home Mom: The Rule of 3

 




Happy Monday everyone! Today the wonderful Jenna of Call Her Happy is over for a visit! We had a little post swap and she was nice enough to post something I wrote on her snazzy blog, but I'm even more excited that she's at my blog abode today.  She's one wonderful blogger and mom who writes on a great mix of everything that should be in everyone's top reads. I think we'd all like to go out for coffee with her, right? 




Ever since I started reading Laura's series on Style & the SAHM, I've been inspired to get my act together, and by act, I mean my wardrobe. I have SO MANY clothes. But, you know what? I never wear them. It's the same faves day in and day out.

So, I set out to do two things:

1. Pare down my wardrobe so I only own things I will wear

2. Wear them!


7e55636ec582b96d77991345156ec4e48b61200edcdba41fa86d34f13d68fa39



Let's talk about the second part of that since Laura did a swell job with the first.


Why Should I Bother?



You're probably all too familiar with the fact that staying at home can be so isolating. I don't have to see a single person besides my kids and husband for weeks on end if I choose. And, if I'm not seeing people, then obviously I can - say it with me - sit in my pajamas all day! And, I've done that. I still do that sometimes. But. But, it's not as much about style as it is about feeling good. Dressing makes me more productive and motivated during the day. I am much more likely to get out of the house, run a few errands, or heck, just get off the couch, if I am not slobbing around. I might even go as far as to say that dressing in real clothes while staying at home is good for my marriage and my kids. Mike reallllly doesn't care what I look like or what the house looks like when he gets home. I love him for that. But, I like it better when I look like I have things together when he gets home (even though I totally do not). And the kids? I may or may not let them wear the same outfit three days (or more) in a row for the sake of my sanity, but...teaching them about good habits and hygiene and yada yada stuff like that.


Saving Things for a Special Occasion



And I know. I know. You're saying, "Jenna, I change my underwear and brush my teeth. What else do you want?" You're preaching to the choir. I do that all the time. But, it doesn't mean that putting in a little effort doesn't go a long way on the days that I do. If you tell yourself you're going to save your cute outfits for a special occasion (like grocery shopping), you'll never wear them. Staying at home is the definition of Not a Special Occasion. It is monotonous life. But, the work you do is amazing and wonderful and important, so dress for it. And the days you don't? Take it easy on yourself, alright?


The Rule of 3



After that inspiring speech, let's take a look at my wardrobe this past week. I like to dress by the Rule of 3 - just made that up: pants + top + something else. Something else can be a scarf, a chunky necklace, a cardigan, a vest, another layer on top, or a child strapped to you. Three just looks like an outfit. It looks pulled together.



  PicMonkey Collage


And because I stay at home, I don't have the luxury of a professional photographer. I just get my choice between a 2yo and a mirror. Mirror it is. So, here is a closer look of things I wear most often. These images are pretty darn similar to my very own.





sahm



I get a lot of my clothes on sale or from Twice. So, go out and buy yourself something affordable and nice today, and wear it! You'll feel better. Pinky promise.


 .
Call her Jenna. Call her your daily dose of Catholic living. Call her mom. Call her funny, approachable, curious and a lover of beautiful things. Call her what you will, but always Call Her Happy. Find Jenna on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Bloglovin'.





follow along:

facebook ~ instagram ~ pinterest



14 comments:

  1. Love this, Jenna (and Christy)! Thanks for the shout-out. The Rule of 3 is really where it's at, isn't it? . . . . And do you really have Aztec print leggings? You are on an even higher plane of cool than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! Tarjayyy, baby. I am wearing them right now while I am nursing a baby. #fashionmom #yeahright

      Delete
    2. You're inspiring. Thanks.. lately i've been wearing the same sweats for about a week and after reading your blog i feel like getting my "act together".. haha

      Delete
  2. Love this! It's so true how just adding a pair of earrings to your sweatpants for the day can make a difference. This is one of the reasons I will go to the ends of the earth to get my shower in, even if that means bringing the kid in there with me. I'm getting my shower lol. It's what makes me feel like a human. The makeup has fallen off the bandwagon lately, but at least I smell good haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. A shower has always been my #1 priority no matter what - until lately. I showered every single day until from when Ellen was born until Sam was about 3 mos old. I made myself do it so I would feel good about myself. Around Sam's 3mo bday, I started to say, hey, I am going to skip it today and still feel good. And I did! I still shower most days, but I'm not as diligent about it now.

      Delete
  3. What a fun post to host :) Love this rule of three too - it adds a little something special to the ordinary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It makes getting dressed so much easier. And, I feel more put together without all of the effort!

      Delete
    2. Rachel at SmallNotebook wrote about the Rule of Three, but also for warm weather: Rule of One (dresses).

      Delete
  4. Jenna you brought inspiration to my day and to my blog :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rule of 3, love this! How you manage to wear a scarf or a chunky necklace with a two year old is admirable. My son thinks a scarf is an open invitation to play horse, and guess who draws the short stick?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, that made me laugh very hard, and only because I can relate all too well! Dangly earrings were out for a long time, too. I think I can manage a pair of studs though!

      Great article, ladies, and thanks for the food for thought!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Yes, I have some sturdy chain necklaces that are really in this season. They are durable enough that Sam can yank on them while he nurses ;)

      Delete
  6. This is great - simple and practical. I hope to be a SAHM one day and will be pulling this out of the vaults as a reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...