Friday, November 7, 2014

Seven Quick Takes vol. 106



Hitting you up with seven relatively quick ones.



{one}



This week was one of those plugging along kind of weeks. Where you're keeping your head above water, keeping everyone clothed and fed, maintaining a modicum of house-ly hygiene and...you're still really exhausted. I don't know why this is noteworthy, because it's not, but sometimes don't you wish you had a more elaborate reason for why you're exhausted??



{two}

Of course, there's always damn daylight savings time!



{three}

Sometimes I dream of a land where I don't get asked superfluous questions for completely unnecessary requests every 3.7 seconds by five little people. I wish I could just flip a switch and hold Question Period, get everyones needs attended to, then have a five minute break. It seems like a fairly simple idea, but no matter how much I natter on about it they just don't seem to get the concept. It's like a constant barrage of talking and by lunch I honestly start telling everyone, no more talking! It doesn't work much either but it does lead me to need a break from talking, somehow. So people need to have quiet time, and go play outside, and just give me a few of not being talked to. Also why I don't want to talk on the phone anymore, or why I think I'm turning into an introvert. 



{four}



There is a wonderful Advent journal available from Blessed Is She that you should think about getting if you're looking for something to help you along with prayer and entering in to the mystery and preparation of Advent.  If you order soon you'll have it for the beginning of Advent, which believe it or not, begins the last Sunday of November this year. I think having a physical reminder to pray makes it easier to focus and pray during the day. Any help is great in this department if you ask me! 



{five}





Have you seen this amazing art installation at the Tower of London paying tribute to those who gave their lives in World War I? I think it's incredible. The poppies themselves are gorgeous, but to see the sea of them spilling from the tower walls is so impressive and poignant. 

World War I is a time in history that has always been so incomprehensible to me. I can't fathom that much loss over such an ill-fought, terribly planned, and unjustified war. I'm reading a novel right now that takes place in World War I that I'm actually enjoying, but it's still staggering to think it took place 100 years ago. I would love to be in London this Remembrance Day.



{six}



Did you watch Death Comes to Pemberley these past two weekends on PBS? I really enjoyed it and thought it extremely well done. I liked it better than the book, which you all know I panned fairly mercilessly, but the adaptation does a much better job at creating tension, moving the story along, and maintaining the mystery. I don't want to give any spoilers away...BUT...Elizabeth and Darcy may have had a sex scene...soooo what do you think about that?! 



{seven}

I have decided I'm just going to pick someones whole week of meals this weekend from Nell's cool link-up. I am sick to death of expending brain time on what to make for dinner, I want someone to tell me, give me all the ingredients and then I'll cook it. The actual cooking part I have no problem with if I turn up my music loud enough to block out screaming children. It's the coming up with something every day that I despise. So someone is going to be the lucky winner from Nell's! Also; go link up so I can steal your recipes.

Hope you all have a wonderful week-end. We're expecting snow and really cold temperatures by Monday so I'm effectively battening down my mental hatches for cabin fever. 




follow along:

facebook ~ instagram ~ pinterest

6 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for several months but I've never commented :) 1) I LOVE your book lists!
    2) #3 above YES! I tell my kids sometimes "I'm not taking any questions right now. Not talking." Doesn't stop them, of course but, makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo to Daylight Savings time. I'm over it and have been for a long time. Death Come to Pemberly has yet to meet my eyes. It could be dangerous but I feel like I should because whiney kiddos and I need sleep so wine and DctP sounds splendid. And, those poppiessss! Gorgeous, but yes so surreal and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the WWI book that you are reading, Christy? I love historical fiction.
    I have 4 daughters, and it is nonstop talking here. My 10-year-old follows my husband around from the moment he gets home from work talking, talking, talking and he looks at me and asks, "is it like this all day?!" Yes, yes it is. So. Much. Talking. And I am a true introvert, sometimes with my older kids I have to just remind them that each family member has needs to be respected - and right now mom can't talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't get over that amazing work of art at the Tower of London!! Thank you so much for sharing that!! And while I am just begging my little 18-month-old to say SOMEthing, I will try to savor my relatively quiet life right now as you've just reminded me of what's to come with little kids and talk talk talking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great takes!!! and yes, clearly i can't get my act together on food so i'm hoping that you all can for me ?? XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so behind on blogs I am reading this now... (damn crafts...!) but I want to know, did you really cook someone elses meal plan? how did that work... such a weird crazy awesome idea to me... send me answers! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...