Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Perfectly Imperfect Home by Deborah Needleman

I love a book you can sink into that has the kind of subject that takes you away from what you're used to thinking about and into something more refreshing and different. In this case, an excellent design book that sucks me into thinking about ironed sheets, where to hang expensive wallpaper, and how high my bed should be from the ground.


"Making a charmed and happy home is a noble endeavour."

But don't get me wrong, The Perfectly Imperfect Home, is really a well-written foray into basic design details which make a home not expertly designed but stylishly livable. That's what I'm in the business for. Surely, with 4 toddles running around I can't imagine fussy furniture or expensive trendy items. However, the importance of creating a beautiful home, is something a stay at home mom is challenged with everyday. Not only for herself, which I think is enough to make "working on pretty-fiying the house" up there on the to-do list, but also for providing a beautiful place for our children to grow up. I could go on about this, like diving into some "domestic church" ideas, but another day.

Already I've noticed how my little babes notice the beauty around the home. Like fresh flowers on the table, or adding a new framed photo somewhere, or rearranging furniture. They notice and they're very little people! They usually comment upon how BEAUTIFUL! something looks. Its so much fun showing them how to appreciate beauty. But that's another topic for another day too!


"Style is luxury, and luxury is simply what makes you happy."

I thought The Perfectly Imperfect Home a great tool at pointing out the little things that make a home stylish. Like embracing your quirky likes, including personal items whenever possible, using books in every room (of course my personal favourite!). But it also gives great ideas on uses of furniture which I wouldn't have thought of. The book isn't written towards frugality of course, but it doesn't patronize too much into the crazy world of the rich and design-y either. Her great tips can be applied in any home. 

The beautiful illustrations of Virginia Johnson make this book wonderful on its own! I loved how the illustrations made designer rooms appear timeless and beautiful. Thinking about a room in terms of a painting is a great idea. 

A great book for making me feel a little sunnier in this long Canadian winter, and great for making me dream of completely redesigning my house!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...